This past weekend was my best friend Ryanne’s Birthday!
We’ve been attached at the hip ever since I can remember. We were even nominated for “best friends” our senior year of high school… but we lost. We’re still living that one down.
Ryanne lives in NYC as well. I mean, did you really think we could go living in the different cities? We celebrated her birthday at a Frying Pan, a trendy, day drinking, restaurant/bar on the Hudson River. To prepare for the day ahead, I threw myself into a full body workout class with Maria that morning. You know it was a good one when it hurt to squat down on the toilet.
I decided to make myself lunch before the bar to make sure I had a healthy meal in my bod. We say this a lot, but we love to make our favorite meals “clean.” We’re normal (or we think we are), 20 something year old girls living in NYC. Sometimes, we just want to sink our teeth into a freakin quesadilla! In this case, it’s clean and healthy! Get creative with what you put inside this one. You can also get fancy on us and add chicken for a more filing meal.
- 2 brown rice tortillas
- Organic spinach (few handfuls)
- 3-4 baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons of classic hummus
- Goat cheese (*optional)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- In a pan, sauté mushrooms in a small amount of olive oil until they begin to soften. Add spinach and sauté until wilted. Set aside.
- In a second larger sauté pan, add a small amount of olive oil (about a teaspoon) and circle around the pan. Place one tortilla facedown and cook over medium heat until it begins to lightly brown. Do the same for the second tortilla.
- Assemble quesadillas by spreading hummus on both tortillas. Place the spinach and mushrooms on one tortilla and add crumbled goat cheese if desired. Top with second tortilla and cut into triangles.
*Because brown rice tortillas are not very soft, they tend to crack or break when folded in half. This is why we suggest placing the tortillas on top of each other.Read More