My Auntie Karen was the first person to introduce me to organic foods and clean eating. My cousin had severe asthma as a child, and although my aunt is a nurse, she decided to try a holistic means of healing before resorting to treatment with steroids. She eliminated any food triggers, removed all toxic cleaners from her home and used natural supplements to support immune and cardiovascular health. As kids, Alyssa and I didn’t understand why our cousins didn’t have Goldfish or Yodels at their house (God I loved Yodels…). Now we know
As I got older I developed an interest and appreciation for clean eating. I am thankful her passion for a healthy lifestyle has had a ripple effect upon myself and my sister. We hope that we continue this same effect with our blog.
This is my Auntie Karen’s hummus recipe. It’s clean, simple and so versatile you can use it with almost anything!
- 30 oz or 2 cans of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2/3 cup of tahini
- 1/3 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of grape seed oil (her favorite oil because it is so light and keeps nutritional value at high heat)
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt (or more to taste)
- Add chickpeas and water to blender and blend (does not have to be completely smooth).
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.