Day 17! Thank you everyone so much for your kind comments and emails! Lou and I could not be happier!
So as Alyssa mentioned, this weekend was a whirlwind. I had a surprise party for my engagement on Friday, another party Lou and I hosted on Saturday, and a friend’s wedding shower on Sunday. Talk about a lot of champagne! By Sunday I was pretty exhausted and dying to get back into my Clean cleanse routine… as unbelievable as that sounds! I wanted to whip up something quick, so I grabbed some red quinoa, brussels sprouts and pine nuts and came up with this super simple, healthy and filling meal. Red quinoa has a rich earthy flavor, and is a great source of protein, fiber and essential amino acids! I will definitely continue to eat this meal after the cleanse… now that I need to work on my wedding bod
- 1 cup of red quinoa
- Brussels sprouts, chopped (as many as you would like)
- Trader Joe's Everyday seasoning (or seasoning of your choice)
- 1/3 cup of pine nuts
- Water or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Place your brussels sprouts on a baking sheet and lightly coat with olive oil and seasoning. Mix together until evenly coated and place in the oven. Bake for 20-30 minutes until tender.
- Rinse your quinoa in a mesh strainer.
- Add the tablespoon of olive oil to a medium saucepan and heat. Add quinoa and sauté over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water or vegetables broth and bring to a boil (covered).
- Lower heat and simmer with cover on for 15-20 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- While brussels sprouts and quinoa are cooking, add a tablespoon of olive oil to a small sauté plan.
- Add pine nuts and sauté over low heat, stirring constantly, until they begin to brown. This should only take a few minutes.
- Combine the quinoa, brussels sprouts and pine nuts in a serving dish.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top (optional*).